January 20, 2012
Nowadays, most online savvy individuals & businesses understand the basic concepts of SEO and why it’s important. However, when it comes to actually creating and developing an SEO strategy, most don’t know where to start.
Here are 6 steps to follow to create a winning SEO strategy.
2. Analyze your Competitors: After getting a good sense of where you currently stand you will also want to evaluate your competitors to see how you measure up. The great thing about this is that you can see what is working for them and not have to spend thousands of dollars testing what will work. Having access to tools like: OpenSiteExplorer.org, SEMRush, and Compete.com can give you a great deal of insight into where your competitors are earning links and what keywords they are getting traffic from.
3. Do Keyword Research: One of the most important factors in your SEO strategy is determining what keywords you want to rank for. Use tools like: Google Keyword Tool or WordTracker to find relevant keywords that receive a decent amount of search volume. There is no reason ranking for a keyword if it doesn’t get searches. However, you also want to keep an eye on how competitive those keywords are. The more competitive, the longer it will take to see results.
4. Optimize On-Page First: After you have done your research and you have a list of what keywords you want to rank for, it’s time to make sure your pages are set up for success. This means writing Title Tags, and making sure you have an SEO friendly URL structure. You will want to incorporate your keywords in both the titles of each of your pages and also in the URL’s.
5. Write Quality Content: While every one of these steps is important, this might be the most. Search Engines LOVE content. If your pages contain quality content that is unique, useful, and relevant to the subject of your website, the better opportunity you will have to rank high. As an added benefit, good content will naturally gain links to your pages, thereby increasing the trust & authority of your site.
5. Social Media Promotion and Engagement: It is a fact that social media now plays a role in how websites rank. Adding a few social media buttons to your site to let users share your content can go a long way.
6. Will Link for Food: Even if you do steps 1-5 you still might not rank. Why? Well you need to acquire links. A back link is viewed as a recommendation or vote for your website. So the more you have the better chance you have to rank. However, there is a caveat to that. You need to acquire relevant, authoritative links to see your website shoot up in the rankings. Here are a few guides on how to best build links: Here, here, and here.
By now, you should have a clear understanding of what steps you need to take to create your SEO strategy. Don’t forget, SEO is a process and it doesn’t happen overnight. When you lay down a good foundation, you will reap the benefits for years to come.
Is your traffic declining? Are you not generating enough leads or sales? We’ve been growing businesses since 2009, let us do it for you!Schedule a Consultation
We’ve been growing businesses since 2009, let us do it for you!