The majority of business owners will tell you that being financially savvy is a must for an entrepreneur. It’s easy to spend a lot of money when starting a business, and many companies are out to try and trick new business owners into purchasing something they don’t need. In other words, it’s important to really put thought into every single purchase. One of the latest and greatest business costs—SEO.
Because SEO is still a new aspect of business for many veteran owners, justifying the costs associated with SEO is tough. SEO can be very expensive for several reasons:
- Many hire an SEO expert or agency to help create and execute an SEO strategy.
- Advanced SEO reporting tools can be expensive.
- SEO costs a company quite a bit of time. You will be investing in something that cannot be guaranteed and will not yield results for many months.
For companies that have been doing well, it may seem difficult to open the pocketbook for these SEO costs. However, there are quite a few reasons that every type of company—startups, successful companies, unsuccessful companies, etc.—should invest in SEO.
Top 8 Reasons to Invest In SEO
- Competition – SEO is necessary to keep up with competition. If all of your competition is utilizing SEO, your site is bound to fall behind. Eventually potential customers will start to search on Google for services you offer, and your company will be nowhere to be found.
- Popularity – Search engines are one of the most popular ways that people find information and make purchasing decisions. According to Search Engine Land, search and email are the top two internet activities.
- Branding – SEO helps improve brand awareness. People are almost always more likely to move forward with a company if they have heard of the company in the past.
- Targeted Audience – Search engine marketing is one of the few ways to put your company in front of the eyes of your targeted audience, making SEO extremely important.
- Long-Term Use – SEO will make a difference every single day. A quick newspaper ad will go away in a few days, but a successful SEO strategy will work for far longer.
- Close Rate – According to Search Engine Journal, SEO leads have a 14.6% close rate, while outbound leads (direct mail, print advertising, etc.) have a 1.76% close rate.
- Organic > Paid – 70% of the links search users click on are organic; not paid.
- Opportunities – Good SEO makes sure that you don’t miss any opportunities. Even if you are not optimizing your website for the search engines, your website will still exist online. A good SEO strategy will make sure that you aren’t missing any ways to take advantage of your online presence.
Although it can be difficult to justify spending money on something that doesn’t yield immediate results, it’s important to realize that SEO is a lasting investment. SEO is something that is not going away anytime soon, and the sooner you get started creating a strategy the better chance you have to reap the benefits of a great search engine ranking.