Most companies understand that SEO is something that deserves its own special attention. It is not something that you can just do in your spare time or train yourself to learn and manage. You might be able to get away with SEO on your own for a little while, but once your company grows it is too much to handle if you have other responsibilities. For this reason, you need to hire someone or a team of people to handle your SEO needs.
What many companies do not realize is that there are really two ways you can fulfill your SEO needs: hire an outside SEO agency or hire an SEO expert in-house. There are positives and negatives to each, so it’s important to understand them so you can make the right decision for your company.
Hiring an SEO Expert or Team of Experts In-House
Hiring SEO experts in-house simply means that they will be working for your company and your company only. In the majority of situations they are working in-house, meaning they will be a part of your team. They usually work closely with the marketing department, but usually they would make up their own department—the SEO department.
1. Benefits of In-House SEO
- Hiring – You will know exactly who is working on the SEO for your company because you do the hiring. When you hire an SEO company, you learn about the company and not as much about the individuals. With in-house SEO, you will know that someone is focused on your company and your company only.
- Complete Control – You will be able to walk right over to your SEO department and talk about the current strategy. Because your in-house experts are working solely for your company, they have the ability to change their efforts at a moments notice. It can take a great deal of time to create an SEO strategy and then continually make changes, but this is made much easier with an in-house team.
2. Pitfalls of In-House SEO
- Gamble – It can sometimes be risky to hire someone to do your SEO in-house if you hire the wrong person. If you don’t know much about SEO yourself, it can be tough to find the right candidate. There is lots of room to make mistakes in an SEO department, so unless you know a lot about SEO yourself, it could be risky.
- Mistakes – Not only do you have the risk of hiring someone who makes mistakes, but you also run the risk of not knowing about these mistakes until it is too late. It takes months, sometimes years to see results when it comes to SEO. This makes is extremely important that you aren’t wasting time, and if your in-house SEO team doesn’t know what they’re doing, it could take a while to figure that out.
Hiring an Outside SEO Agency
Hiring an outside SEO Agency means that you are going to hire a company that specializes in SEO to work outside your office. This means that the agency will supply a team of experts for you, and you will likely not be the only client of that SEO agency. Although you may have a few experts assigned to your company, they will be working for the SEO agency as opposed to being employed by your company.
1. Benefits of an SEO Agency
- No Distractions – Some business owners do not want extra people working in the office because it can create a distraction. You have to find a place to put your SEO experts and you will need to field questions should they arise. With an agency, your experts will be working without causing you any disruptions. If there is an issue, the head of the agency will need to deal with the problem—not you.
- Efficient – An SEO agency will be very efficient because all of their colleagues are SEO experts. In other words, they will not have any distractions either. You will likely have several people working on the SEO of your company, which will help move things along and make sure they get done right.
2. Pitfalls of an SEO Agency
- Price – Although hiring an in-house SEO agent can be expensive, hiring an agency is generally more expensive. The price will depend on the type of work and time you want the agency to spend on your company, but it can cost anywhere from $200 to $5,000 per month.
- Communication – It can sometimes be more difficult to communicate with an SEO agency because it is entirely over the phone. You cannot just pop your head over to a spot in your office and see how things are going. Very hands-on type business owners might have a difficult time feeling as though they aren’t in complete control. A business owner will also be in charge of communicating SEO goals and creating deadlines for an agency, so it’s important that you have the ability to be clear and stay organized.
There is no correct choice when it comes to your SEO goals. Some business owners prefer to work with someone in-house, while others think they have a better chance of SEO being done right if they hire an agency. Both can be comparable in terms of price, so it really just comes down to the type of business owner you are.
Does your business complete SEO in-house, or did you hire an agency? Do you think you made the right choice?