Affiliate Marketing is a method of online marketing in which a business rewards one or more affiliates by paying out commissions for each visitor brought to them by the affiliates own marketing efforts.
Thanks to the affiliate marketing business model; many people are making a great living. Believe me I have seen plenty of affiliates first hand making well over 100k a month. While there are many stories of affiliates making 100k a month in revenue working from home, there are also many stories of affiliates being scammed and losing thousands of dollars.
The question you should be asking yourself is: “How do I Avoid Affiliate Marketing Scams?”
As with most things in life, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! With that being said, here are some tips on how to avoid affiliate marketing scams:
- Stay Away From any affiliate networks that ask you to pay to sign up for their program. This is an immediate sign of an affiliate marketing scam. No reputable affiliate networks ever ask for money to receive material about their program.
- ALWAYS check the reputation of the company prior to signing up. See if they are registered at the BBB, if not Google the company name. I had a friend who was coaxed by an affiliate marketing scam and did not check the reputation. After speaking with him, I “Googled” the company name and almost every result talked about them being a scam.
- Stick with the known! The big 3 affiliate marketing networks are Linkshare, Commission Junction, and Google Affiliate Network. While there are many others that are reputable, you know you can’t go wrong with these.
- Promote products you know or have used. Too many times affiliates are roped into scams to market products or businesses they have either never heard of or used before. If you have first-hand knowledge of the company or product you would know if they were quality or not.
- Affiliate support is crucial. When an affiliate program includes a toll-free phone number it is typically a sign that things are ok. However, this is not always the case. Once you have joined a program you should have direct access to some type of support. Once you locate the email or contact from, it’s a good idea to send a message with a simple question to see how long it takes the company to respond. If you don’t receive a response addressing your question within a few days, tread lightly. It may not mean anything but if they don’t respond in a reasonable amount of time, they are doing something wrong.
Affiliate Marketing scams exist because they are a profitable business and many people fall for them. Do yourself a favor before you try to make your first million in affiliate marketing, follow these tips!
Let us know your experience with affiliate marketing and any scams out there.